It’s not too often that you get to put so much yum into one casserole AND it’s green AND your family loves it.
You’ll want to put the Cheesy Zucchini & Cabbage Casserole recipe on your quick to do lists because it’s a winner every time.
It’s a delectable treat that can be the main course or a yummy side.
There is also some versatility built in so you can change it up to fit your taste and your mood.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve tried several cabbage casseroles over the years. Some are good, some are okay and some are “I don’t think I’ll go there again.” 😉 But…that happens I suppose.
Anyway…the point is, this is a keeper.
Something about the combination of the cabbage and zucchini just makes this a real family pleaser. Hands down the best I’ve had up to now.
A couple of notes before we hit the recipe itself.
First of all…this stuff is good for you!
It may not be a perfectly healthy meal because it has a little butter and cheese in it, but it’s still good for you.
Just think. If you can get your kids and spouse to chow down on something good for them that tastes good too, why not? 😉
Zucchini has become increasingly popular in the last few years.
Folks have figured out some ingenious ways to prepare it.
For instance, how about zucchini noodles?
And if you haven’t tried zucchini bread yet, you are definitely missing out.
Hint: –> We will be bringing more and more of these yummy recipes your way.
On the other hand, cabbage has not been quite so popular. I’m not sure exactly why, but cabbage has never gotten the same kind of attention as its other cruciferous brothers and sisters.
Broccoli, cauliflower, kale and brussel sprouts are all in this food family, but cabbage just kind of got left behind a bit.
That’s about to change with dishes like Cheesy Zucchini Cabbage Casserole.
Health note...Cabbage is super good for you. It’s good for your heart, fights cancer and aids in better digestion. Zucchini is also good for your heart, but it is a champion in weight loss as well. Both of these prime veggies are full of vitamins and minerals that will help you maintain optimal health as part of a healthy diet.
Now for the yummy…..get ready, on your mark, GO!!!
- 1 cabbage head
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- About 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼-1/3 block of Velveeta (melted) OR 1 container of Cheez Wiz (Your selection will alter the taste a bit, but it also depends on what you have on hand and what you like best. Both are really yummy.)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese (depends on if you like the little extra spice to it)
- About 10 cherry tomatoes or 1 Jalapeno pepper (Again, depending on how spicy you like)
- Seasonings: salt, black pepper and paprika (to taste preference)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9 inch square baking pan (butter well).
- Cut your cabbage head into wedges 6-8 or so and drop into lightly salted boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- Be sure to cut out the core and drain the remaining cabbage very well (in strainer or on paper towels).
- Place the wedges in your prepared dish.
- Melt butter in skillet stirring in the flour for a couple of minutes
- Stir in milk and allow to cook until it begins to thicken.
- Take the skillet off the heat and stir in your cheeses, salt and pepper
- Pour mixture over the cabbage wedges. There’s plenty so coat all well.
- Now…depending on whether you want the spice of jalepenos or the décor of tomatoes, here’s the next step.
- Slice your topping of choice and decorate the top. This will add beauty and a little taste as well.
- Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy!