Quick! What’s your most favorite food memory from childhood?
One of mine was Mom’s Refrigerator Soup. Funny name. I know. 😉
I always found it amazing that this soup never seemed to be the same each time. Mom would cook it up and it was always uber delicious. It wasn’t anything like steak and shrimp or nothin’. Just plain down home goodness cooked the way moms do.
What’s better than a delicious hot soup on a cold winter’s day? Not much really.
Somehow mom seemed to know that.
Now, in this version we didn’t pull straight from the fridge – but we could have.
That’s the beauty of it.
Pull the cans off the shelf, bowls from the fridge or bags from the freezer and you can create your own personalized version of Mom’s Refrigerator Soup.
Mom’s Refrigerator Soup Step by Step:
Step 1: Gather up all the stuff you need (That includes your ingredients and equipment.)
If you see something you don’t like or you want to add a little something extra, then go for it. If you don’t have refrigerator leftovers readily available, that’s okay. You can make it straight from the frig, freezer or cupboard shelf.
Step 2: Chop it up
Step 3: Mix ‘em up & cook veggies for 5-10 minutes in a skillet.
Step 4: Add in the meat and seasonings and cook it until the meat is done.
Step 5: Toss in the slow cooker with the rest of the stuff and wahla!
Step 6: Now let it cook on high for about 4-6 hours in the crock pot and you will have a right tasty and hearty soup for the week.
Makes a great dinner with a couple of additions if you wish. Also, quite yummy to take for lunch for the week (yes, I know personally).
Snow on the ground, and a chill in the air and Refrigerator Soup comes to the rescue.
Step 7: Yummy up. Eat it. Freeze it for later. Share it 🙂
All done! 🙂
Mom’s Refrigerator Soup
Love this one from my childhood. Enjoy your dinner, pack it for lunch and/or freeze the extra.
- 1-2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 cups tomato juice or V-8 juice (traditional)
- 1 can green beans
- 1 cap whole kernel corn
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes or Rotel (We used mild.)
- 1 bell pepper (sliced or diced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3 medium potatoes (chunked, but not huge)
- 5-10 whole carrots (cut-up) (We love carrots.)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Gather up all your ingredients
- Chop up all your vegetables (onion, bell peppers, celery, carrots and potatoes).
- Place olive oil in bottom of skillet and then put in your chopped veggies except for potatoes.
- Put potatoes into the slow cooker.
- Saute and cook your vegetables for 5-10 minutes.
- Add meat and seasonings (garlic, season salt, salt & pepper)
- Cook until meat is done.
- Toss all of the rest of the ingredient plus the cooked veggies into the crock pot and stir.
- Season to your taste now or later.
- Cover and let cook on high 4-6 hours.
- Break out the blanket and the fireplace and enjoy!